The Mycology Reference Centre Manchester (MRCM) is an NHS reference laboratory that accepts samples from around the UK and other countries.
Tests currently available
- Identification: yeast; mould; dermatomycosis; sequencing
- Susceptibility testing of yeast or mould: flucytosine, fluconazole, itraconazole, posaconazole, voriconazole, amphotericin B, micafungin, anidulafungin
- Therapeutic drug monitoring (TDM): flucytosine, fluconazole, itraconazole, posaconazole, voriconazole, isavuconazole
- Serology: Aspergillus galactomannan; Aspergillus fumigatus precipitin (test and titre); Fungitell beta-D-glucan; cryptococcal antigen (CrAG)
- Molecular (PCR): Aspergillus, Pneumocystis, panfungal
MRCM acts as a focus for training and research in Medical Mycology in the UK, and is an integral part of the UK Clinical Mycology Network. Furthermore, the MRCM provides undergraduate (University of Manchester Medical School) and post-graduate (PhD programmes in Medical Mycology) level education for the University of Manchester, and the European Society for Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases.